Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Newbie wanting help with wig care and how to clip on bun to hair not tied up

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By Lux0rd. 09/05/14, 03:08 am

Hi,
I am new to cosplay. I am wanting to cosplay as Konan from Akatsuki (Naruto) however am confused about the best way to go about making and attaching the Bun.

I have read tutorials about making odangos out of styrofoam balls and think this looks like a good way to make the bun however there seem to usually be attached to stubs but Konan has her straight short hair out and not tied up.

Has anyone had any experience with cosplaying as Konan or attaching buns to not tied up hair?

If an odango would not work can you make any other suggestions? Also if an odango would work what would be the best way to attach it?

The other question I have is the best way to keep the wig from detangling.

I have seen lots of products that people rave about on other websites but they almost always are strictly in the US or cost around 5x the price of the itemitself to ship to NZ.

I saw some people saying WD40 or silicon spray were good however I am a bit hesitant about trying these as they seem like they would be smelly and greasy.

Has anyone had experience with either of these products or can you suggest any products available here that would be good?

Thanks.

Lux0rd
n00b

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-05-09

Newbie wanting help with wig care and how to clip on bun to hair not tied up Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Newbie wanting help with wig care and how to clip on bun to hair not tied up
Post By JVCA. 09/05/14, 05:41 am

Welome to the hobby and the forums! The odango method should be fine even without a stub – it depends on the tutorial you're following, but if you glue some fabric to the inside of the odango you can then sew through the fabric and just sew the odango to the wig. You might want to get someone to help you position the odango in the right place first but otherwise it's not too difficult to do. :)

As for detangling – with a wig that length, I wouldn't even worry about it getting tangled unless you're using a really poor quality wig. Usually only wigs longer than shoulder length are an issue because the hair gets tangled as it moves around or rubs against your back. Mid length wigs like hers have such short fibers that any tangles will be removable just by combing your fingers through it. If you're really worried about it though, look for a heat resistant wig – they tangle less easily than fibers like kanekalon, and are usually easier to fix if they do tangle.

Then again, if you're okay with buying from ebay there are heaps of pre made Konan wigs on there. :)
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Newbie wanting help with wig care and how to clip on bun to hair not tied up Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Re: Newbie wanting help with wig care and how to clip on bun to hair not tied up
Post By Lux0rd. 09/05/14, 02:49 pm

I have found a few on ebay but they all seem to be purple despite the fact that she has blue hair. I have found a few that are the right colour. the first is the right length with 2 available and the second is a little more expensive but long so would likely be able to cut it and use the cut part for the odango.

Which would be best? Are wigs difficult to cut?

Lux0rd
n00b

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 12/05/14, 01:52 am

As long as the wefts on the short wig would be long enough to cover the odango, I'd buy two of the shorter ones. Wig cutting just for length isn't too hard but does take some practise – what will more likely drive you up the wall is trying to convert the cut off length into manageable wefts to use on the odango.

I say that from my own experience having tried the same thing! The issue I ran into was that it was very hard to get even thickness in the wefts and even though the wig I bought was long, it wasn't quite long enough so 50% of what I'd cut off turned out to be too short to actually fit over the bun I was making. sad

Buying the second wig of the same kind, you can just unpick the wefts from the elastic bands that make up the base of the wig and use those, which will be much easier. Again, only if it will be long enough to cover the odango though! (I hope this has helped!)
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Cosplay :: Costume Help & Critique-