Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Checking in

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Checking in
Post By Metric.nz. 29/10/13, 06:12 am

Hi everyone.

So what to say.

I've obviously seen the costumes at Armageddon over the years, they'd be hard to miss and add so much to the event, but have never really paid attention to the formal side of cosplay. Stage Three changed that for me last weekend. I learned something about how y'all make those wonderful costumes, found out about the resources that are available to NZ Cosplay (including this forum) and learned what the competitive side of the community was about.
I loved that people were so willing to discuss their work. In hindsight I should have realised years ago that everyone would, of course, want to talk about something they'd obviously taken so much pride in producing. I think I found the persona aspect of Cosplay intimidating, forgetting that there are regular people under there who are very willing to talk about what they do.

Not a cosplayer myself, yet, but I do have a couple of ideas I want to explore.

Definitely more interested in the craft side than performance. I've been "making stuff" since as far back as I can remember although that's fallen to one side for a few years now. Cosplay and Armageddon give me a way that I can combine interests in a fun way. Not so sure that I'll get the confidence to wear anything I make in public.

• Sysadmin.
  • Forum admin and moderator for a CrossFit site.
    Only mildly fanatical CrossFit enthusiast, if such a thing can exist.
  • Maintain a couple of websites and working on developing my web dev skillset to include SASS, responsive design and Drupal (wishing Version 8 would hurry up and be released).
  • Very keen on the possibilities of 3D sculpting so dabbling with Blender.
  • Lapsed Shadow and Flamer, so I've briefly encountered neimhaille in another virtual existence. Hi mdb.
That all sounds much more interesting than I remember myself being.

Not a gamer, what used to be somewhat disdainfully called a media fan back in the days of hardcore SF cons, before japanese anime exploded into NZ. Yes, I am that old.
So more TV and Film and have to consult Google to know who many of your cosplays are about. Oh and books, fantasy and SF. Carbon based information storage and retrieval mechanisms in case they're not familiar.

Off to poke around the old posts and learn more about how to get this stuff done.

Metric.nz
n00b

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Checking in Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Checking in
Post By Rolly. 29/10/13, 06:24 am

Hello there Metrics!

So glad to hear that the stage three panels/cosplay room allowed people to hear about the side of cosplay people don't usually see.

Cosplay is for all ages and everyone has to start somewhere, so don't be too shy in wearing something you've made! Everyone is generally very nice here.

The forums are quieter nowdays, but do enjoy reading some of the older posts, I do know the FB page is quite active nowdays. Have fun!
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Checking in Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Metric.nz. 29/10/13, 06:51 am

Rolly wrote:
The forums are quieter nowdays, but do enjoy reading some of the older posts, I do know the FB page is quite active nowdays. Have fun!
Always the case, Facebook has taken over from the social side of most forums.

Which Facebook page are we talking about?
Aahh, the group I assume, facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/ ?

Metric.nz
n00b

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Checking in Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Rolly. 29/10/13, 08:32 am

Yep yep, that's the page! :) I myself don't like using FB that much, so I still prefer to check the forums.
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Checking in Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Tatsuhime. 02/11/13, 01:27 pm

Hi and welcome!

What were you wanting to do with 3d printing? I had part of my canon made with 3d printing and wow it has opened my eyes to the possibilities! Limitless!
I hope you enjoy your time in the forums:D

Tatsuhime
Tatsuhime
Tatsuhime
Tophat

Number of posts : 155
Transforms into : an A hole without coffee
Registration date : 2012-10-22

Checking in Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.