Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Would you be interested in realistic fan art at Overload?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By chiken_skratch. 29/03/13, 07:39 am

I've always been interested in Overload, but have never been able to go due to non existant funds, or medical problems. But I would really like to go this year and sell some of my art.

It is of my understanding that most of the artwork sold at Overload is heavily anime influenced (and rightly so because anime is awesome) and varies within that genre from artist to artist. What I would like to know, is art that is based more on realism and surrealism, does is sell well? Or had it ever been sold before??

If I was going to draw fandom I would draw them in this kind of style:
Spoiler:
Ignore the words in the background, that took far too long to do and unless I knew the fandom well that I was drawing, I would never write something like that in the background again, lol. So it's based on a realistic figure (taken from stock photos) and then the colouring style is done in a hashing technique, with very visable colured lines utilizing white space to make the colours pop. Has something like this ever been sold at Overload?

Some other drawings of mine that I have done recently:
Spoiler:
I took these photo's in the shade so their colours have been deminished and the background is very blue, lol. I'll take all future photo's in bright sunlight from now on!!!

But I'm not very up to date with all the latest anime and manga because I's a bad otaku who is never in the loop with things lol. PIe has been mega awesome and has given me a list of her favourite charatcers and fandoms and I'm going to draw some test pieces to see if they turn out well.
Here's the list she gave me:
Spoiler:

Are these characters you are interested in? Do you have any you would like to add to the list?? I'm just drawing up some A4 test pieces at the moment, so if you have a character that you would like to see in a realistic/surreal view point, then please let me know. I'll post all the test pieces I do once they are done so you can tell me if they are good, need improvement, or out right suck lol.
I'm pretty good with anatomy, and do well with faces, so it's just trying to turn anime into realism that will be the hard part.

I look forward to drawing realistic anime characters and sharing them with you guys!! Please let me know what you honestly think!!!!!
chiken_skratch
chiken_skratch
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 606
Transforms into : somebody more useful
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Would you be interested in realistic fan art at Overload? Vide
Back to top Go down
http://cosplayfromskratch.deviantart.com

Re: Would you be interested in realistic fan art at Overload?
Post By sakkaf. 01/04/13, 05:16 am

i like realistic artwork, but i'd much prefer original artwork. overload is mainly a manga market, thats why theres way too much fanart at overload nowadays. its bad for setting up original artwork exhibitions and sales.

saying that i really like your work~ go for overload, it will give you a good experience. :)
sakkaf
sakkaf
marshmallow ninja

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down
http://tinnyhouse.tumblr.com

Post By chiken_skratch. 01/04/13, 10:50 am

@sakkaf - I wouldn't bother selling original artwork there, wrong type of market, lol. I have a feeling that most of the things I'll be drawing will be shirtless men, lmao, or action shots. Not so many close ups, although I've started a Fushimi close up and it's looking pretty cool if I say so myself
chiken_skratch
chiken_skratch
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By chiken_skratch. 05/04/13, 12:48 am

So I've finished Fushimi from K Project, but this is only a VERY QUICK ROUG|H DRAFT COPY, nothing serious here. I'm just trying to gauge the right mix between anime and realism at the moment.

Spoiler:

And here's my rant oln the faults I see in it
Spoiler:

But besides from the faults, what do you think? Would you buy something at Overload if it looked like this, or would you just just pass it buy, or would you be interested in seeing more and other examples????

I'm going to draw somebody shirtless next, and I'll make it A3 so I can get all up in that man action and make those muscles look gooooooooddd
chiken_skratch
chiken_skratch
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By slinky. 05/04/13, 07:53 am

From the few times I've gone to Overload, there's always been a HUGE variety in art styles- including very realistic styled artwork being sold there : )

Normally, things that sell well are series popular at the time. Last year, anyone who drew Kuroko no Basket literally sold out haha. Then other series like Tiger and Bunny, Ib, Black Butler, DRRR, pokemon ( the new game had just come out so ) and other sliiiightly older series sold pretty well too.

But for someone like me, I'd probably gravitate more towards old favorites? Like if I saw someone selling Inuyasha or HxH I would buy it right away haha. Also you need to remember not a lot of people are up to play with new series? Because the general public also come to Overload, so I always think it's nice to sell things aimed towards them too.

I also really like small things, like bookmarks, stickers and keychains <: they always sell well too
slinky
slinky
Superman

Number of posts : 257
Transforms into : a spinning top
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post By chiken_skratch. 05/04/13, 09:28 am

@Slinky - Really? That's good to hear, let's me know if I showed up with something along the lines of this that it wouldn't be immediately dismissed, lol.

Haha, yeah I'd imagine, lol. I'm useless with up to date series, I've got Chonny for that, lmao.

Yeah, that's a very good point, thank you. I'll have to look into some of the old favourites, see what I can come up with. I like a lot of the old favourites so it shouldn't be too hard, lol.

I don't know if I would venture into small trinkets this year, I thought I would mainly do A4 and A3 posters, but I know that a stall with just posters could be pretty boring to look at. I can't draw chibi's to save my life, unfortunately, so I wouldn't know what to stick on the end of a keychain. Bookmarks are relatively simple to make/design, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice!!!! It has helped and aided me a great deal!!!
chiken_skratch
chiken_skratch
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By chiken_skratch. 28/04/13, 11:14 am

A very quick pencil sketch of FUshimi being... not very sane, lol. Used a reference, and I like the desperate crazy look I gave him lol.
Spoiler:

I'm going to bring the ole tablet out from where it has been burried under pencils, and try my hand at digital painting again. If I can make this ^ pic look like what I have going on in my head, then it should come out really good. Hopefully. I like blending anime with realism, it's fun lol.
Oh, and there is going to be a lot of shirtless guys ahead peeps. I both love and hate male anatomy, so if there is a character you wana see without his top, then let me know hahaha
chiken_skratch
chiken_skratch
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Misc. :: Artists Alley-