Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Difference between cosplaying in New Zealand and other countries

Go to page : Previous  1, 2
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Difference between cosplaying in New Zealand and other countries
Post By Pura. 18/02/12, 07:42 am

I think buying costumes has also turned into a time factor too. A lot of us cosplayers started cosplaying while we were in high school, but now we're all up to university and we have a lot less time to make cosplays. I know a few people have either stopped cosplaying altogether or only make a few costumes a year. This year I plan to buy a few costumes. I just ordered my Starry Sky uniform for Armageddon because I don't want to try and make a nice looking suit in time xD (I've never made one before - most of my stuff has been skirts and dresses, lol). And I was thinking of buying some for later on it in the year too, not because of time or ability, but because it would be a lot cheaper to buy them, and I am trying to cut down on the cost of cosplay this year, haha.

If you know any good tips for a wig store you should tell me Very Happy. (Meeting up in person to talk about that kind of stuff might be easier, haha.)
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Difference between cosplaying in New Zealand and other countries - Page 2 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Daddylion. 18/02/12, 08:41 am

Sorry i'm not that good with this stuff, in thailand i order from the chinese stores through pre-order services. But yes, talking in person might be easier :)

And you have a good point, there's probably more time to make your own stuff when you're younger.
Daddylion
Daddylion
Banana

Number of posts : 115
Transforms into : The Ultimate SEME!! (*is lying to myself*)
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down
http://hrecyclebin.deviantart.com/

Post By Pura. 18/02/12, 08:48 am

Hehe, I do similar things. I order all my wigs off of Taobao. Because they are nice and cheap. I think getting them through eBay costs $49USD, and getting them straight from the same seller but on Taobao is like $15USD. So there's a big price difference.
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Daddylion. 19/02/12, 01:22 pm

Oh yes, that is a big difference.
Daddylion
Daddylion
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post By Selphiroth. 14/04/12, 07:43 am

NZ has the kindest cosplayers I've ever seen. I mean okay I've been out of NZ for about two years so I don't know if it's changed or not but man, I would give a kidney to those folks and I don't even cosplay.
Selphiroth
Selphiroth
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 552
Transforms into : Swiss army knife with a flash light
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post By Daddylion. 14/04/12, 07:26 pm

Awesome :) And where are you right now if i might ask?
Daddylion
Daddylion
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post By Selphiroth. 14/04/12, 07:35 pm

Australand
Selphiroth
Selphiroth
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Daddylion. 14/04/12, 08:06 pm

Ah right... are cosplayers more mean there?

Daddylion
Daddylion
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post By Selphiroth. 15/04/12, 09:46 am

I wouldn't say "mean". More like, bigger scene, more competitive, more serious people, and people of different groups don't really mix in the way that NZ do. Like cosplayers hangout with other cosplayer friends, rather than making friends with other cosplayers if that makes sense.

Pretty pleasant the few times I went as photographer, but I've never made any friends via cosplay in Australia.
Selphiroth
Selphiroth
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Daddylion. 15/04/12, 10:43 am

Ah right, well the cosplay scene in thailand is huge and competitive too, but we have the 'cosplay idols' and competition people as well as the less competitive cosplayers who just go there to hang out. But with the scene being so large it's much harder to control, there are people who cause trouble and it's really hard to clamp down on. I don't know about making friends though, I made mine very easily when I joined and have plenty of cosplay friends and I'm always meeting new ones... but at the same time it's getting harder and harder to trust people as well when someone new comes into the group because you never know if they're going to cause problems for you or not. There are people on facebook who printscreen things said in private groups and post them to insult others within the cosplay community. It'd happened to me before.

I really hate that i can't trust people.
Daddylion
Daddylion
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post By Selphiroth. 15/04/12, 11:11 am

Every hobby ever, as long as it has more than something like three people, you'll get all sorts. I think NZ is definitely one of the least dramatic cosplay groups I've seen.
Selphiroth
Selphiroth
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Daddylion. 15/04/12, 12:37 pm

Good to know.
Daddylion
Daddylion
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 15/04/12, 02:25 pm

Yeah, but these things are not unique to cosplayers, it's just they way a small portion of any population behave. Possibly affected by how many teens get involved in cosplay.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By Daddylion. 15/04/12, 02:53 pm

True true... but when cosplaying gets involved in it everyone starts getting worried about "what people will think of our community" and then there's a month long string of lectures about appropriate behaviour while people who make these intrusions into other people's business barely get any trouble. The people in the photos or who's making the post gets in trouble, not the gossip monger. Hell you can't even make a warning about a resident pervert on the dekdee.com board without someone complaining about the poster making 'private cosplay community' issue public so parents will know about it and think bad things about us.
Daddylion
Daddylion
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 15/04/12, 03:32 pm

I'm sure lots of younger kids hide a lot of what goes on from their parents too. Not all bad stuff. Just because their parents may react. (eg. that there are guys 30 years old, or as old as me or older on here. Because they feel the parents will jump to conclusions, and not the obvious one that we are here because we like cosplay.) Even with the bad stuff, (like there has been the odd smarmy wrench session 4Chan, etc), then the parents may react as if it is the cosplay community at fault. Because they don't understand cosplay to start with. Of course teens probably cope worse at school and the parents don't stop them from going to school.

On the other hand the community in NZ is very protective, and also has a good relationship with the event organizers. We are protective on the odd occasion we do have trouble, and in the rare case necessary more confident about going to the event organizers. But I can think of only one instance were we have done that.

There have been a couple of things happen outside con venues. Like many motels being broken into one year, including one costume got stolen. Too identifiable to sell/wear surely? Eggs and liquids being thrown at people walking various years.

I get the impression that some asian countries have had some pretty rare problems with perverts. In some cases makes us wonder about aspects of cosplay in those countries. Sounds like you have had some of that in Thailand?
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Back to top Go down

Post By Daddylion. 15/04/12, 08:00 pm

Of course, most parents have a limited capacity for understanding their kids. Even my mum who's fairly modern and understanding I still hide stuff from her when I was young. But yes, I think any society has a tendency to find something to point the finger at when something bad happens, especially things they don't understand... like blaming gaming culture for school shootings for example.

I don't think that's ever happened before with things being stolen. That has never been much of an issue, at cons often cosplayers leave their stuff piled in front of the restrooms or along hallways because there's no locker room to put it and nothing's ever been stolen before. Theft has just never been much of an issue. I never heard of hotel/motel break ins either. But i think while this cosplay community is pretty close knitted, the one in thailand is very big, often cosplayers from out of town would not all be staying in one place together but be scattered at various hotels and motels in the city, even ones closer to the event. We never had anything thrown at us either, it's just not something that happens in this country, maybe some 'deliquents' do it, but unlike in western countries we don't have a history of throwing eggs at people we don't like, or not as much.

Also, cosplay in Thailand isn't that much of a fringe geeky thing, i mean it still is but lots of people talk about how some of the new cosplayers who come into the community to be famous, and well, if you come into a community to be famous it can't be THAT fringe I imagine. There's not really a "hey look at the freaks" thing from other people like I've heard happen in NZ. Even people who don't know cosplay or don't get it, it's not really something you throw things at people for.

Our cosplay community problems are different ones, as you may have noticed. Yes, perverts are a bit of a problem here, but usually it's not cosplayers. You often hear more about photographers taking advantage of cosplayers, some using the excuse of 'art' to get them alone and stuff. And even tourists and passerbys sometimes do that as well in cons that are in more popular and public places (like some cons are at sports stadium so it's just fans there, some are at department stores and that one has many passerbys). We do have cosplayers who do this too though but they're more rare. And overall perpertrators are often not older folks (like some parents in western countries might suspect because there seems to be a bit of a paranoia when it comes to paedophilia, which we don't have as much). The guy that's causing a big ruckus right now is still a teenager i think.

I don't know why this is a problem in Thailand and not in NZ. Maybe the population's larger, maybe the maid fetish is too rampant? i dunno....
Daddylion
Daddylion
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 16/04/12, 10:32 am

I think the overall impression, especially at events where people expect cosplay, is good. And we are slowly expanding beyond private events and Armageddons. Recently we were given a competition at Japan Day for example. New Zealanders by and large are friendly and accepting of people. They may not understand us dressing up, but that doesn't mean they are not polite, or treat us people first, ignoring the costume (or race/sex/job/wealth/age/etc). But there are always going to be a small number of people who are just haters.

However from what I read recently parts of the community in Britain and America are judgmental towards other cosplayers.

Now people correct me if I am wrong, but I would venture to suggest that while some cosplayers like to play up to perversion a little, they do so because they are secure in being around friends. But they are also less into the play aspect of cosplay. So they are not going to respond to pressure to sex it up just because their character does. If they really thought someone was a pervert they would be either be like lets get out of here, or lets confront them. New Zealanders compared to some Asian (and Pacific) cultures are less shy/afraid of asserting themselves, less under pressure to conform/ more individualistic, etc. (Also NZ is less that way than some countries, like America, too.)

PS. Never leave stuff unattended at cons. Having stuff stolen (or borrowed) is not common, but does happen. Generally you can leave stuff with cosplayers who are sitting around. But that's no gaurentee. They may come and go, or just up and leave. They may not know what stuff belongS to who. Keep valuableS on you. At Wellington Armangeddon the cosplayers have taken over a couple of dressing rooms, so you would expect to be able to leave things there.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Difference between cosplaying in New Zealand and other countries

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2