Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cosplay survey! Character choice.

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Cosplay survey! Character choice.
Post By Static. 13/01/12, 01:33 am

Hello everyone! As some of you know, I'm working on a book of New Zealand cosplayers, and I'm collecting information on various attitudes and opinions. I was thinking about this yesterday, and wondered if I could get some other people's input on character choice in cosplay. Here are some suitably long-winded questions, if you feel like answering them, that would be awesome - and REALLY INTERESTING. I've got my own opinions and observations of the community to draw from, but it would be amazing to hear from you all :) So...

1 - In NZ, the roleplay aspect really doesn't seem to be as important as the costume's overall design, but with a lot of people i think that cosplaying as a character they just plain don't like doesn't go down too well. Is this the case with you? Would you cosplay a character you hated just because they had a cool costume?

2 - I'm also toying with the ideas of cosplay choices as role models, in a way. When looking at the characters you've cosplayed in the past, do they share common traits? Are they traits that you admire, or traits that you embody yourself?

3 - If you like the character enough, but weren't a huge fan of their outfit, would you cosplay them anyway?

Thanks everyone! I look forward to hearing from y'all :)

Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Cosplay survey! Character choice. Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Re: Cosplay survey! Character choice.
Post By Koemix. 13/01/12, 04:11 am

1 - No i wouldn't. I mean, i like Sakura Haruno's outfit, but i really dont like the character so i wouldnt bother with it, But there are a few exceptions.
2 - I do tend to pick characters with shorter hair and more of a girly appearance (marluxia for example) But don't really see them as role models. I go for characters with personalities/traits that i can pull off without too much difficulty.
Most of them are rather vain, not too sure if i admire that xD
3 - Possibly, It depends on the difficulty of the outfit (in making/buying etc) if it was a really simple/casual outfit I'd probably go for it.
Koemix
Koemix
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 592
Transforms into : idek at this point
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 13/01/12, 05:31 am

1 - I don't tend to pick characters based on loving them specifically (that usually comes when I've been forced to live with their clothes staring me in the face for three hundred hours) but because I love the series they come from; for example, I cosplayed Caterina Sforza from Trinity Blood because I loved the art direction and mood of the series as a whole and wanted to do a cosplay from the property, not of her specifically. So there've been a couple of times where I have actually made cosplays of characters I hated in some way, just because they were the most interesting visually or the most like me physically in a story (such as when I cosplayed Saku from .hack//G.U for the sole reason of 'stupid hat', despite hating her guts). On those occasions though, the time I usually put into any cosplay makes me re-evaluate my feelings towards them anyway. As they say, walk a mile in someone's shoes~ It's just in this case the someone is fictional and the shoes are an entire outfit.

2 - A lot of my characters are villains? Actually, most of them are morally ambiguous or selfish at best (see: Caterina, The Count, Saku, Grell, Hojo, Mephisto, and a lot of my eventual plans such as Eridan, Harle, Lezard, Lunatic...) which is a quality I don't admire in actual people but I find a lot of fun in characters. Psychotic, murderous, sociopathic characters are just so much more interesting because they go against the normal range of personalities in day-to-day life. On a less worrying note I also cosplay a lot of charismatic, heroic characters, like Dante, which're fun because of how hammy and altruistic they are. Those're the characters I actually aspire to be like.

3 - Absolutely. There's an outfit I almost-but-not-quite finished last year, Kuhn from .hack//G.U, who wears the most hideous clothes I have ever seen, but I spent ages working on them anyway because sometimes-- but only sometimes-- there're characters that just deserve that. If there is enough love then I will make tacky, mustard-yellow, flared 3/4 pants any day.
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Icarus. 13/01/12, 05:45 am

1) to me it depends on how difficult the costume. If I didn't like the character but love their design then motivation to power through intense detail would be hard. Like comp pieces, if I love the character then the making process doesn't seem as much of a task. But if it was something simpler then if the design is nice enough I'd go for it.

2) Theres a huge variety in the characters I've done so I guess instead of picking a character that matches me I like to do characters that have little traits I'm fond of, I like the idea of becoming molding yourself into someone different in cosplay.

3) Yes! I haven't really come across a character with a design that'd put me off that much, but the main factor for me would be how revealing it is. But if I do like them that much I'd just edit it a little to make it more 'comfortable' to wear haha.
Icarus
Icarus
ACB King '10

Number of posts : 3485
Transforms into : a dancing octopus
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down
http://icarus-cos.tumblr.com/

Post By neimhaille. 13/01/12, 06:30 am

1 A two parter really ;) I am not a roleplayer, but I am definitely a performer. I just like to keep performance separate so I do not go around "in character" outside defined performance spaces. Call it snobby actor syndrome ;) I saw way too many actors be too involved with characters to think it terribly healthy- ask me about my stage fight teacher with the big scar across his scalp from a "Macbeth" who didn't want to lose....

I am contemplating a character I find a bit annoying, a bit grating but her costume is really nifty.

2 I don't always choose a character that is likable or someone I want to emulate. But their character intrigues me in some way. I don't really like assassins but I had a great deal of fun being Shae Vizla. I rarely find a character that is a role model to cosplay as. It's not so much a lack of recognisability but the fact that most of those characters I most like in films etc. look and sound nothing like me and do not have a costume that defines them enough.
In a performance this is not much of an issue, eg in a play or in a contest as the set up of stage/announcing etc. sets the scene for a performance to be seen for what it is.
In the halls (which is my only outlet for cosplay in NZ) it just doesn't work as you have to step outside the character to explain who you are!

3 Yes. And I have. Shaak Ti's movie costume is a little frumpy. It's also insanely difficult to move in. But I love the character and she is enough of an interesting and iconic costume that I don't really have to stop and explain who I am. Well I should say people are interested enough in who this weird red and white creature is to be engaged.
neimhaille
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 13/01/12, 10:41 am

Thanks everyone! :)
Static
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By 悪魔. 13/01/12, 11:52 am

1) Na, I perfer cosplaying as character which i really like or which have a specific meaning. Such as Banna, who is Naruto's imposter, I thought it would be ironic cosplaying as him because then id be pretending to be him pretending to be naruto. Oh and even though i like sasuke's outfit (its probaby the skuxxest one on naruto) i wouldn't Cosplay him cause he's a traitor.

2) The character I'm making now is Kakashi, who coincidently has a scar over his left eye which for some reason i've always wanted. Also i love how he trolls Gai with his hip come backs Very Happy So Yes i see Kakashi as a role model for me.

3) Hmm that's a tricky one as even though i like the character Muyushii she's a chick and therefore i can't/Won't cosplay her (for the sake of everyone's sanity) so I'd have to say no because it still depends on the costume. I would do most male character i like tho. (not Lee though God not that costume :O )
悪魔
悪魔
Zenbu

Number of posts : 66
Transforms into : Akuma, The lord of death
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post By hyolee123. 13/01/12, 12:21 pm

1 - I don't think I'd cosplay a character I didn't like even if I liked their design. Personally I think I'd feel out of place dressing as the character, even know I wouldn't be in character. I think cosplaying you feel like you are representing the character you're dressing as.

2 - I haven't gotten much to go on, but yes Most characters I've cosplayed I actually resemble in a way. Be it skin colour, hair type or personality traits. The traits they have are normally ones I relate to, or wish I had. Like I cosplayed Jin from Persona 3 once, I have a similar skin colour, almost the same glasses and we both have the "good with computers" personality trait.

3 - I believe I would unless it was a overly complicated costume. If it was overly complicated then I would make a pass because I know it would be a waste to make something so intricate when you don't like it. But if it was simple I think I would as it'd be good sewing practice.
hyolee123
hyolee123
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 547
Transforms into : Silent Magician
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down
http://www.hyolee123.deviantart.com

Post By Daddylion. 08/02/12, 03:59 pm

I'm only moving to NZ this month... i can't do the survey right?
Daddylion
Daddylion
Banana

Number of posts : 115
Transforms into : The Ultimate SEME!! (*is lying to myself*)
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down
http://hrecyclebin.deviantart.com/

Post By sakuramiyabi. 08/02/12, 07:39 pm

1 - In NZ, the roleplay aspect really doesn't seem to be as important as the costume's overall design, but with a lot of people i think that cosplaying as a character they just plain don't like doesn't go down too well. Is this the case with you? Would you cosplay a character you hated just because they had a cool costume?

It would have to be a REALLY cool costume which I absolutely adore in every single way to override how much I hate the character. But even then the likelihood of that happening is really low. For me the role playing part and "acting-in-character" part is just as fun as the costume.

2 - I'm also toying with the ideas of cosplay choices as role models, in a way. When looking at the characters you've cosplayed in the past, do they share common traits? Are they traits that you admire, or traits that you embody yourself?

Almost every character that I have cosplayed I identify in one way or another. Even when I think back on characters I've cosplayed I find points that I identify with more than I had initially thought when I cosplayed the character. Even if it isn't a big forefront part of my personality that part which makes that character what it is, is also embodied in me in some way. And most of the time it is traits I like in myself or traits which I aspire to have.

3 - If you like the character enough, but weren't a huge fan of their outfit, would you cosplay them anyway?

I would. That is I would if I thought I could pull off what they wear without looking like a huge idiot. Though who knows. Infatuation with 2D characters is unpredictable and it can make you pull off some really crazy things you thought wasn't possible of yourself.
sakuramiyabi
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3941
Transforms into : Melted pool of something
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down
http://sakuramiyabi019.deviantart.com

Post By Static. 08/02/12, 11:48 pm

Daddylion - you can totally do it if you want to! It would be great to get your perspective on the differences between the NZ culture and your own, as well :)
Static
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By IcyRose. 09/02/12, 02:51 am

Been meaning to fill out this survey for a while.

Short Answer: No. Long Answer: It REALLY depends on the character. I see cosplay as a way of expressing my liking of the character I cosplay, so when it comes down to a character I absolutely loathe, I would not want to cosplay them regardless of how cool their design was as the character part of it is actually very important to me. The only exception is if the character in question would be really fun to act as and even then, I would only usually do it as part of a group for a friend and not at my own accord.

The majority of my cosplays have a running theme. For the most part they will have at least one of the following attributes: Strategist/Genius, Flamboyant, Snarky, Anti-Hero, Affiliated with either Water/Ice or Roses. For the most part they are traits I feel I embody or at least wish that I embodied. As I pointed out in the earlier question, the character is very important to me as the cosplay represents my liking to them and it works in the opposite direction in that I feel the characters I like represent idealised traits I either have or wished I had.

Absolutely. Just as long as I feel I can pull it off ok. However I feel that I would not put as much effort into the cosplay as I would with a character with a costume I really liked. I would not cosplay a character I liked but the outfit itself would be too embarassing to wear or too difficult to create.
IcyRose
IcyRose
lucky*

Number of posts : 1142
Transforms into : That Dark Handsome Swordsman
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down
http://roseandblossom.deviantart.com

Post By Daddylion. 09/02/12, 05:35 am

Static thank you :) ok then...

1. If i cosplayed a character I hated, it wouldn't be because of the costume. I've taken drama classes before and through a certain exercise have learnt that it can be quite fun to play a character you don't like and you might learn something new about the character too... For the outfit though, well I think i probably would cosplay someone I don't like if i liked the costume that much. I find that once I cosplay a character, I become more sympathetic towards them anyway so even if i really hated the character, when i cosplay I might learn to be more tolerant of them. If i cosplay something i hate, it might be because i'm in a group cosplay with friends and they needed a position filled but i can probably grow into it.

2. I think i prefer to cosplay characters with traits that I admire the most, though in that character there should be aspects of myself in it too, something which can reflect me. I'm told in NZ the focus is on costume more than role playing, though i'm not sure about in my own country (but in competitions there's both role playing and costume contests all the time) but personally, I usually like a character I can feel comfortable filling the shoes of, and characters that make me feel good when I try to be like them... also it helps cause often i don't look anything like the characters, if i'm comfortable being them, I can make up for my lack of likeness to the character, with attitude.

3. Don't think so... chances are I will probably find an alternative costume. For example, I love Shinpachi, but I don't like his regular outfit that much so I decided to cosplay him from a different arc where he doesn't wear his regular outfit.I do this for a number of characters already. I have a bigger problem with unflattering outfits than ones i hate though cause I've never seen an outfit i disliked so much i wouldn't cosplay a character at all before... that said, I do have an aversion to maid's dresses so maybe i won't cosplay characters in that even if i like them.

Last edited by Daddylion on 09/02/12, 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daddylion
Daddylion
Banana

Number of posts : 115
Transforms into : The Ultimate SEME!! (*is lying to myself*)
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down
http://hrecyclebin.deviantart.com/

Post By ox0kristen0xo. 09/02/12, 12:18 pm

1 - Short story:I would not cosplay a character I hated.
Long story: For example, I was getting into Naruto and really wanted to cosplay from it but there was a lack of good girl characters and I'm not really into crossplay (I like being girly). BUT THEN I started watching Naruto Shippuden and Sakura had grown up a lot and wasn't the weak fangirl she was before- still not my favourite character, but no-longer did I dislike this character, so I cosplayed her.

2 - Most of the characters I cosplay/ the ones I like to cosplay are girls who are kind of quiet, but still have strength/spirit and will not shy away from speaking their mind and defending those they care about. Maybe this reflects the kind of person I want to be... (idk, hard to explain).

3 - I would shy away from doing a cosplay if the outfit was unflattering. When I cosplay I want to feel beautiful or badass and if I'm wearing something I feel makes me feel frumpy, it ain't gonna happen.
ox0kristen0xo
ox0kristen0xo
Ultimatum

Number of posts : 235
Transforms into : The socially awkward penguin
Registration date : 2010-11-01

Back to top Go down
http://ox0kristen0xo.deviantart.com/

Post By Highlander. 09/02/12, 01:11 pm

1 Probably not. Not yet. Because I would have no reason to. Also I or other people might wonder if it does represent me in some way. Plus there are so many good characters to play anyway it's not an issue.

2 - Yes. It might be that they are fun, and allows me to be fun. It might be a more serious character, from something I really like, who I think is a role model. (Or both serious and fun if Sgt Sagara.) If they can conceivably have a sword then so much the better. I would love to do a fight scene sometime. ?Where/how?

3 - Probably not. I have and would consider cos-playing a non-recognizable character eg. I contemporary clothing. But then no-one would know I was cosplaying?!?!?!?!
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By Rolly. 09/02/12, 01:17 pm

I tend to never cosplay any character from a series or game I have not read/seen/played before. (Exception was Katamari, because well, Katamari.)
If I dislike a certain character I don't think I would consider cosplaying them. I have not yet come across a character I really dislike, but has a really awesome costume yet, so I'm not too sure how to feel about that.
I don't tend to roleplay or be in character much when cosplaying. It seems for me socialising with fellow awesome cosplayers comes first before roleplaying. It's all about having fun and enjoying yourself.

This is a somewhat difficult one. Looking at the characters I have cosplayed I can see my (obsession) phases/growing up/maturing progress.
My second cosplay (Rena from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) was a character who was generally sweet and cute, until she snaps and becomes totally yandere, murderous and insane. I thought the character was awesome (which she still is) and was really into the series at that time.
My first cosplay (Reimu from Touhou Project).... well, I was kinda into Touhou at the time and her outfit was really pretty and seemed reasonably easy for a first costume (I had hardly any sewing knowledge - thanks JVCA for getting me started!). Still haunted by handsewing whole costume. It took foreverrrr.
My third was a Pokemon Gijinka (Shaymin). It was a yukata and I haven't seen the movie with Shaymin in it, but I chose Shaymin because I liked the design of the Pokemon. And I wanted to make a yukata.
My fourth (Yukari from Touhou) was mainly because there was a huge Touhou group and I think I wanted to do another character from this series. I chose Yukari because she is erratic and makes portals, and I liked her costume.
My fifth was Happy from Fairy Tail. I was really into this series and Happy was my favourite character, because he was so adorable and random.
I think, most characters I cosplay is because I find them cute, or I choose ones I like most/would suit most out of a series for groups and such.
If it was traits I admire/role model.... I don't think I've thought about this. This factor probably doesn't have much of an effect on my cosplay decision making.
Though, sometimes I do like to cosplay characters with seemingly less than normal traits, because it'll seem like fun.
I do tend to cosplay more than one character from the same series if I really like it or, the planned group effect comes into play.
SORRY IT TURNED INTO WALL OF TEXT

This one would really depend on the character and outfit. I don't think I've come across a case like this yet, so again I'm not sure how to feeeeel.

Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By Selphiroth. 14/04/12, 07:36 am

I don't really cosplay, consider I can't stand modelling and being on front of camera (unless it's for comedic or passport purpose, half the time it overlaps anyway).

I think a huge part is because I expect myself to meet three criteria before I even want to cosplay anyone. I want an appealing outfit, by which I mean is something I can comfortably wear, looks good and is challenging to make; I want to like the character, and I want to at least looks somewhat like the character too. The third never ever happens.
Selphiroth
Selphiroth
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 552
Transforms into : Swiss army knife with a flash light
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post By kyokyogirl. 14/04/12, 09:48 am

It's been way too long since I've lurked on here; if you're still collecting responses, here's mine:

No I wouldn't. For me it has to be the whole package. I think I would lose all motivation to finish a costume if I didn't like the character.

A lot of them seem to be the misunderstood bad guys, or good guys that do bad things. I guess I like the complexity of the characters in these kinds of situations. I find the characters intriguing but I don't necessarily admire these kinds of traits. They are certainly not what I aspire to, but they are fun to dress up as for a day.

Hmmm only if I really, really, REALLY like the character. I have to have the motivation to work on it and if I'm not really into it then it just becomes a chore rather than an enjoyable process.
kyokyogirl
kyokyogirl
fuzzeh duckling~

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down