Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Make-Up Stockist & Advice Thread! [CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD!]

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Make-Up Stockist & Advice Thread! [CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD!]
Post By Lumissne. 11/10/11, 07:30 am

So, I thought it would be helpful to a have a thread with some handy stockists and gurus for make-up. If you have any suggestions, leave a comment!

STOCKISTS:

(While most of these stockists are in New Zealand or ship to here, some may not. I have also stuck to just posting links to mainstream make-up companies. However, if anyone is vegan or interested, I'll add some links of some great mineral/indie businesses)

Minifies - NZ website, cosplay make-up. If you're just after cosplay make-up, this is the place to go. They're a stockist of Kryolan, which is a great brand for all style of costume and theatrical make-up. They also stock prosthetics and special effects materials.(Note: If you're part of the Homestuck group and you're after something to make yourself grey, check out the 8ml Supracolour in Light Grey)

Mecca Cosmetica - NZ website, higher end cosmetics/everyday cosmetics. If you're after brands you can't find locally, I would check this site out.

Sephora - U.S website, unfortunately does not ship to NZ BUT you can shop there via NZ Post's YouShop - A fantastic site for everyday make-up, stocking nearly every brand under the sun.

Missha - NZ website, skincare/everyday cosmetics - Also sell BB Creams.

M.A.C - U.S website, but there are stores in NZ. For the M.A.C price list in NZ, click here. Everyday cosmetics/Skincare. M.A.C is rather famous for selling some great lipsticks and eyeshadows, but always remember to research if you're looking at some of the more obscure colours.

Sugarpill Cosmetics - U.S website which ships to NZ, everyday make-up. Great if you're looking for some really quite bright eyeshadows or ridiculous false lashes.

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics - Can't remember if these guys are based in the U.S or not, but they ship to NZ! - Everyday make-up/Cosplay make-up. Their lip tars are fantastic if your character has a strange or unique lip colour, because you can make your own lip colour.

Morgana's Cryptoria - Now, I did say I was going to refrain from posting links to indie companies, however Morgana is a very talented chemist and has some amazing colours (Despite the very gothic themed site). Her lipsticks are perfect if you're looking for a well formulated green, gold or blue. U.S site that ships to NZ - Everyday make-up/Cosplay make-up.

Ka'oir - A new lipstick line which offers some insanely bright colours like yellow, green and blue. US site, need to check if they ship to NZ - Everyday make-up/Cosplay make-up

Body FX Prosthetics NZ - An online store for prosthetics, body and special effects make-up. If you're looking for stuff that's on the more creative side, I'd check out here - NZ store - Cosplay make-up

BEAUTY BLOGS & GURUS

Temptalia - Possibly my favourite blog ever. Christine does reviews of more high end products, especially M.A.C. Her Foundation Matrix is incredibly helpful, as is her swatch gallery. Check out the FAQ for some good advice.

Lipstick & Lightsabers - A great blog if you're interested in indie or mineral make-up companies, also has some lovely swatches.

Michelle Phan - Great for everyday looks, cosplay or inspiration. If you're totally lost with make-up, I'd do a quick search for some of her basic tutorials.

Promise Phan - Great channel if you're looking for character tutorials, such as Avatar, Mulan, Lara Croft or Poison Ivy.

I know this section may seem really quite small, however I've found a lot of make-up is up to personal taste. There are hundreds of blogs and gurus I could post here, but they will not appeal to everyone. Instead, I've chosen my top four who I think would be most helpful. If you're curious, remember everything is a simple Google search away.

AND ONE MORE THING

How savvy are you about cosmetics and their risks? Take this quiz to learn and most importantly, keep yourself healthy.

Last edited by Lumissne on 31/07/13, 11:52 pm; edited 17 times in total
Lumissne
Lumissne
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1047
Transforms into : Piphopopotamus.
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Make-Up Stockist & Advice Thread! [CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD!] Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Make-Up Stockist & Advice Thread! [CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD!]
Post By JVCA. 11/10/11, 07:38 am

Stickied. :)
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By jpwise. 11/10/11, 07:39 am

LOL. Beaten to the sticky. ;p

Edit - slightly more on topic - nice list. :)
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By Lumissne. 11/10/11, 07:49 am

@JVCA: Thank you!

@jpwise: Shucks Very Happy
Lumissne
Lumissne
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Back to top Go down

Post By TinTango. 14/12/11, 01:52 pm

Thanks for the advice with my Shrek facepaint!
Spoiler:
TinTango
TinTango
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1278
Transforms into : whelmed. Not over or under. Just whelmed.
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post By neimhaille. 17/12/11, 02:58 pm

Very Happy I have used Reel Creations and love it :)
http://chucrew.com/TwilekCelebration/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=392
Just my wee review. You may recognise a couple of people in the photo ;)
The actual shipping was $US35 for four pots so it works out to be really pretty darn cheap for a movie quality body paint :)

However for something a bit easier to get your hands on:
http://www.latonasmakeup.com.au/products.php?c=21
Topmark sells this in their store. I didn't realise the inks are concentrated so they will last.

these are alcohol activated meaning they are waterproof, not just resistant, they are waterproof enough that you can go swimming. Maybe not in a hotpool ;)

Great for in conventions where you are likely to not get a chance to be repainted during the day and if you are likely to be shaking hands etc.

I'll be using these exclusively for my Shaak Ti and Samara and Liara given how well they work.
neimhaille
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post By Lumissne. 17/12/11, 03:19 pm

@neimhaille Thank you very much! I'll pop those links in :)
Lumissne
Lumissne
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content